This homemade Irish cream syrup for coffee is perfect to use in a breve, latte, cold foam with cold brew, or even in a cold blended coffee! It’s simple to DIY at home and gives that extra something special to your drinks.
(Please note that this article contains affiliate links, and that means that I may earn a commission if you buy something. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Why this works
This homemade Irish cream-flavored syrup is nonalcoholic and works well in breves, lattes, coffee, cold brew, or anything else you can think of! The chocolate, vanilla, and creamy flavor profile of Irish cream match perfectly with espresso and coffee making this a delicious way to flavor your drinks.
This homemade syrup takes advantage of ingredients you’ll likely already have in your pantry, with one exception: coconut extract. Using coconut extract might seem unanticipated but it really brings out the flavors and gives this syrup something special.
These are all the ingredients for this Irish cream syrup recipe:
I like to use the sweetened condensed milk to mimic the creaminess that you love in Bailey’s Irish Cream. But, if you are going to be using the syrup to make a latte, cold foam or something else that heavily uses milk or cream, it can be omitted.
Yes, this syrup is nonalcoholic and is made to be used to flavor beverages like coffee, lattes, and cold brew.
Yes, this syrup is a great way to make a homemade Irish cream cold brew. Starbucks’ recipe uses the syrup in a cold foam that is then used to top the cold brew.
Of course, it’s up to you, but I find this combination is best to mimic the actual taste of Irish cream.
You can use this Irish cream syrup on ice cream, with tea, or with anything else you can dream up.
Yes, this recipe is for the microwave because I find it easier and faster, but you can follow the same process on a stovetop.
Put the finished syrup in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. It will keep for two to three weeks.
Irish Cream Flavored Syrup
- Add water, white sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract and coconut extract into a microwave safe bowl* and whisk together.
- Heat mixture in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes until it is boiling.
- Remove and whisk in cocoa powder and sweetened condensed milk.
- Heat mixture in the microwave for another minute or until it starts boiling.
- Cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Will keep for 2-3 weeks.
- *I like using a large glass measuring cup. That way you can see when it boils and there is plenty of space for the liquid to expand.
- You can use this syrup to make an Irish Cream Breve.